New standard for IT project governance
Standards Australia has published a new standard to support governance leaders to successfully guide major information technology (IT) projects.
A new standard to support governance leaders to successfully guide major information technology (IT) projects has been prepared to set out how significant IT projects can benefit through the use of appropriate governance frameworks and principles, according to Dr Bronwyn Evans, chief executive officer of Standards Australia.
“Organisations undertaking significant IT projects will find this is the ‘go-to’ document when it comes to linking governance and management,” Evans states.
Max Shanahan, project editor and member of Standards Australia Technical Committee, IT-030, states that AS/NZS 8016 offers a model of engagement between an organisation’s governing body and management.
“It is based on the model outlined in ISO/IEC 38500:2010 Corporate Governance of Information Technology and is designed to raise awareness among boards and executives of their governance responsibilities,” Shanahan notes.
According to Shanahan, the standard is also designed to assist members of governing bodies, who are required to evaluate business cases for major IT-related investment decisions, without having the benefit of a technology background.
Technical Committee IT-030, ICT Governance and Management, was responsible for the development of the standard. Committee members include representatives from the following organisations:
- Australian Computer Society
- Australian Industry Group
- Australian Information Industry Association
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Australian Taxation Office
- Consumers Federation of Australia
- Council of Small Business Organisations of Australia
- Department of Finance
- Department of Industry
- Department of State Development, Business and Innovation
- Governance Institute of Australia
- ISACA Wellington Chapter
- National ICT Australia
- New Zealand Computer Society
- Project Management Institute
- Queensland Government Chief Information Office
- The IT Service Management Forum, Australia
- Web Science Australia
- Women on Boards